Title: Program Manager
Status: Full Time, Exempt
Reports to: Executive Director with a dotted line
reporting relationship to Sr. Program Manager
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dunwoody Nature Center, a nonprofit organization whose vision is to become an exceptional nature center that promotes lifelong environmental education, seeks a full-time program manager. The Nature Center offers a chance to reconnect with nature and learn about the natural world. Our mission is to inspire the love of nature and cultivate environmental understanding and stewardship. Specifically, we strive to accomplish this by: conserving and enhancing Dunwoody Park, educating children and families about the natural world and our place in it, and motivating environmental awareness and responsible action. The Nature Center utilizes the 22 acres of Dunwoody Park and several satellite campuses to promote lifelong learning and environmental understanding.
At the Dunwoody Nature Center, our programming is at the core of what we do to support our mission and includes field trips and outreach for schools, nature classes, lecture series and classes for adults, summer and holiday camps, programs for cub, boy, and girl scouts and several programming events such as our annual Butterfly festival. Last year more than 17,000 people participated in our classes, camps, family events and festivals and more than 25,000 visitors came to walk our trails and enjoy the oasis of our meadow, or to dip their toes in Wildcat Creek.
The Program Manager works in several areas of programming and primarily focuses on our Summer Camp, Butterfly Festival, Scouts, Nature and other classes, birthdays, our First Saturday programs, Holiday Camps, and other seasonal initiatives that enhance the educational programming at the Nature Center. The program manager is the main contact point for a majority of our audience and serves an important role in framing who we are and what we do. They should have knowledge of sound environmental education practices and a commitment to conservation and environmental awareness. The position reports to the Executive Director and works closely with all of the Nature Center staff, contract educators, and board of directors.
- Execute the day-to-day operations of educational programming within their principal content offerings. The program manager should also identify areas where they see current program improvements and work towards developing new programs within their content area
- Develop and manage budgets within program area
- Act as camp director for school break camps; and assistant camp director for summer camp
- Plan and execute Scout programs
- Develop and manage all aspects of the Nature Center’s Butterfly Festival, our largest annual event
- Plan and execute seasonal programs: hikes, bird count, campouts, Free First Saturdays
- Supervise Weekend Program Coordinators and provide oversight to all weekend related programs
- Schedule contract educators to fill programming needs and work with them to ensure exceptional programs. Hire, train, and evaluate contract educator and encourage their development in the field of EE
- Coordinate to assure proper resources are available for programs as well as manage and maintain inventory of educational supplies
- Review program protocols and evaluate the success of the programs; make improvements and changes as necessary
- Assist with Special Events, Fundraising events, and facility management as needed
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal, and relationship building skills
- Experience working with groups of children and educators
- Affable personality with an ability to relate to a wide variety of ages and audiences
- Must be highly organized, detail oriented, and have the ability to multi-task with solid organizational and time management skills
- Degree in education, environmental education, natural sciences or equivalent training/experience preferable
- Persuasive, enthusiastic, and goal-oriented individual who will help further the Nature Center’s reputation
- Proficiency in MS office applications
- Ability to teach classes, field trips, and other programs as needed
- Willing to work across functional areas at the Nature Center to achieve goals